- Stimulate lymphatic system
- Aid elimination of toxins
- Reduce cellulite
- Helps digestion
- Stimulates circulation
- Strengthen immune system
- Firms the skin
- Aids in eliminating dead skin cells
- Increases cell renewal
- Use a good quality, natural bristle, dry skin brush which has an appropriate firmness to your skins sensitivity. It is best to start with a softer bristle and progress to a slightly stiffer bristle as your skin becomes firmer. Natural bristles must be used as synthetic bristles can cause damage to the skin.
- Use a light pressure, aim for firm but gentle.
- Use ling, light, brisk movements – do not scrub the skin or use circular motions.
- Brush before you shower, on dry skin, once completely undressed.
- Always brush towards the heart.
- Avoid the face, and any sensitive areas and broken skin.
- Pay particular attention to cellulite prone areas such as the thighs (again be gentle, over brushing can cause redness and irritation to the skin).
- Wash your brush every 2-4 weeks with a natural soap or shampoo and hang to dry.
Skin Brushing Routine 2-5 minutes
- Brush bottoms and tops of feet
- Brush up each leg from ankle to hip, one at a time
- Brush upwards over buttocks and up the back
- Brush abdomen in a clockwise direction
- Brush top and bottom of hands
- Brush up each arm, wrist to shoulder, and shoulder towards heart
- Take a nice warm shower
- Ending a warm shower with a cold rinse will provide further circulatory benefits for the skin.
Why should I dry skin brush?
The skin plays a vital role in ridding the body of toxins and impurities. Dry skin brushing is one of the best techniques to open up the pores of the skin and to stimulate and detoxify the lymphatic system.
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day, which makes it one of the most important organs of elimination. For this reason, the skin is also known as the “third kidney”.
Our circulatory system has its own pump (our heart) to move blood through our bodies, but our lymphatic system does not. It primarily relies on our movement to assist it. Typically the more active we are physically, the better condition our lymphatics will be in.
Skin brushing helps move lymph fluid towards the heart where it re-enters the circulatory system via the subclavian veins. Dry skin brushing also improves the surface circulation of the skin and keeps the pores of the skin open, encouraging your body to discharge metabolic wastes.
Healthy skin eliminates more than one pound (0.45kg) of waste products every day. If the skin becomes inactive and the pores are clogged with millions of dead cells and debris, toxins will remain in the body. This puts undue stress on other eliminative organs, such as the kidneys and liver, eventually overworking them.
Skin brushing helps exfoliate and invigorate our skin. It increases our blood supply to the area, bringing with it nourishment and oxygen. It prevents and reduces cellulite as it aids the removal of accumulated toxins under the skin which cause the dimpled appearance. Dry skin brushing will not only help increase circulation and elimination of toxins, but will also make a huge difference to the quality of your skin and it will look and feel healthier.
You can purchase a good quality skin brush from health food stores, the body shop or beauty section of most department stores.
Still not convinced? Here’s a simple exercise to demonstrate the effectiveness of brushing
Required: 2 clean hand towels and your natural bristle brush
- Before skin brushing, rub the first towel over your entire skin surface
- Use your natural bristle brush to dry skin brush as outlined previously
- Wait 2-5 minutes before rubbing the 2nd towel over entire skin surface
After repeating this before every shower for a week (make sure you’re not mixing up the towels – it’s a good idea to use different colours for identification purposes), you will be able to smell the difference in the towels. The “after brushing” towel will have a significantly stronger odour, demonstrating the enhanced excretion of toxins due to skin brushing!